Ever thought about garment sewing? Ever wonder what all those different types of fabrics are about or why a pattern designer recommends certain fabrics for a pattern? Rayon? Lawn? Double Gauze?
We’ll be holding Garment 101 after our February meeting on to talk about garment sewing and how to dip your feet into that area of sewing. We’ll be discussing different types of fabric, tools, and general information about garment sewing.
If you’re signed up or thinking about signing up for the Scout Tee class in March, this is the perfect introduction to some of the things we will be covering in that class.
We will be having a Scout Tee class, led by guild member Kristyn Jansen on Saturday, March 16, 2019. The class will be held at Quilt in a Day from 9:30am-3:30pm. The cost of this class is $25 and lunch is not included.
The Scout is a woven t-shirt with capped sleeves and scoop neck. Fitted at the shoulders, this top falls into a loose shape below the bust.
This class will teach you foundational elements of garment sewing such as reading a garment pattern and selecting the correct size, setting in a sleeve, hemming, and bias binding.
- Scout Tee pattern – either in an assembled PDF or paper pattern
- Light to medium light weight fabrics such as cotton, silk, lawn, voile, charmeuse, crepe de chine or wool crepe. Extra fabric needed to match plaids, stripes or one-way design fabrics.
- You will need between 1 2/3 and 1 7/8 yards depending on your size – see the size chart here for more information
- Coordinating thread
- Sewing Machine
- Fabric Scissors or Rotary Cutter
- Pins or Clips
- Seam Gauge
- Marking Tool or Pen
At this time, we are accepting registration from dues-paying SDMQG members. If there are still spots available, we will open the class up to the entire quilting community.
To sign up for the class:
- Register for the Scout Tee class.
- Make your $25 payment in full. Payment information will be available on the confirmation page after you have submitted your registration form.
Our annual retreat will be held from Thursday, June 6 – Sunday, June 9 at Vina de Lestonnac Retreat Center in Temecula. Space is limited for this retreat, so don’t wait to register!
Pricing and Information
$360 for a triple room
$450 for a double room
$595 for a single room
Registration and non-refundable $100 deposit due by February 10th. Your spot is not reserved until deposit is made.
Final balance due April 1st and is non-refundable, unless your spot can be filled by another member.
If you aren’t able to join us for the whole weekend, come spend Saturday, June 8th with us!
$35 for sewing and Saturday lunch
$15 additional for Saturday dinner
Payment is due by April 1st, but Saturday Sewer spots are not reserved until payment is made.
Payment for both Weekend Retreaters and Saturday Sewists may be made in person by cash or check or online through Venmo. Additional payment information will be provided once your registration form is submitted.
- Registration for the retreat by completing the retreat form.
- Make your deposit if you’re a Weekend Retreater or complete payment if you’re a Saturday Sewer in order to secure your spot.
Registration is now full for Weekend Retreaters, if you still want to sign up your name will be added to our wait list.