We are extremely excited to announce that Weeks Ringle will be coming to SDMQG to present her lecture “Transforming Traditions: Modernism and Quilts” on Sunday, October 14th, 2018 at noon. This lecture is free for dues-paying SDMQG members and $10 for guests.
Weeks will also teach a workshop on Improvisational Piecing, which she describes below, along with a materials list. The workshop will be held on Saturday, October 13, 2018 from 9am-4pm at Quilt in a Day, San Marcos.
Registration is now open for SDMQG members at a cost of $100:
- Register here.
- Pay using Venmo (@sdmodernquiltguild), PayPal (email@example.com), cash or check to any board member.
We will hold spots for those paying non-electronically only until Sunday, September 9th. After that, your spot will be given to the next person in line. We will be opening this workshop to people outside SDMQG, pending availability, on September 9th.
Learn different techniques for improvisational piecing and choose one to develop a new project. We’ll guide you through a strategy that will have you making design decisions as you go. Students can begin making ourCall Me Crazy or Just Passing Through quilt or a project of their choice if they already have something in mind. Our patterns and magazines all ship for free to US destinations, so please order in advance to make sure you have what you need for class.
- Student supplies needed: sewing machine, rotary cutting equipment, an assortment of cotton quilting fabric with different values and hues (small-scale prints, tone-on-tone prints and solids work well; avoid large-scale fabrics), extension cord, thread, seam ripper, notebook or journal, and any supplies you like to have handy when quilting.
- If students wish to make the Call Me Crazy quilt with their own fabrics, they will need 2 3/4 yards white or other field fabric, 2 1/2 yards total assorted blue (or other color) fabrics and 3/4 yards binding fabric.
- If students wish to make the Just Passing Through quilt with their own fabrics, they will need 3 3/4 yards solid field fabric and 1 1/2 yards contrasting solid fabric for the splicing and binding fabric.
- Facility equipment needed: tables and chairs for cutting and sewing
- Skill level: Adventurous beginner to advanced